One of our editors at the Burlington Free Press, April McCullum, last week posted a tweet posing a simple question: Why, she asked, has no one parked a food truck next to Route 108 and named it Smugglers’ Nachos?
It’s a brilliant idea, of course, naming a food truck after and placing it near the famous Smugglers Notch pass at Mount Mansfield. And it plays right into an idea for an article that I’ve harbored for a while on businesses that should exist in Vermont.
So naturally, I replied to her tweet, saying it was the best food-related business plan I’ve heard for Vermont since I suggested an all-you-can-eat lunch spot in the Mad River Valley called the Warren Buffet.
April’s tweet went Vermont-viral, attracting so much attention that the Vermont Reddit page took the idea and ran with it under the heading “Who’s got some business ideas?” Several clever commenters followed suit with businesses named after various Vermont place names. That provided the dual benefit of giving me a few chuckles and doing the hard part of writing that long-imagined story of mine on businesses that should exist in Vermont.
So here are some of those business ideas from Reddit that sound like absolute winners, as long as I don’t have to provide the start-up money. The commenter’s Reddit name is followed by their top-notch suggestions:
MaryJaneOnTheBrain: A Greek restaurant in the Champlain islands called South Gyro
ARealVermontar: (Just a few of more than 30 suggestions):
- Charlotte’s Web (local internet service provider
- Cambridge Over Troubled Waters Record Shop
- Stowe-It-Here Self Storage
- RockingHam and Other Meats Butcher Shop
- Jamaica Me Crazy Puzzle Company
- Reading Literacy Center
- Norton Antivirus (medical clinic offering everything from STD testing to dengue-fever vaccines)
- Wells Drilling Services
- Orange Paint Supply
- Mendon Your Clothes Seamstress
- Warren Peace and Justice Center
- Windsor Calm Weather Forecasters
- Brighton Home Lighting
- ‘Ripton Shredded’ Secure Document Destruction (or bodybuilding gym???)”
obiwanjabroni420: Squechee Clean in Quechee, a laundromat and car wash
timberwolf0122: An Enosburg/Enosburg Falls-based panini and dipping-dots outlet, Paninisburg Balls.
darcy1805: Building off the Enosburg theme – Eno’s Burgers and Pizzeria Eno.
Blue9944: “Essex and Candy”
- Londonderry Queen
- Concord Grapes
- North Hero Heroes sandwich shop
- Grand Isle Be Back (An Arnold Schwarzenegger museum)
- Ye Olde Mount Holly Jolly Christmas Shoppe
Thank you, Redditors. Now I’d like to add one more to the list that I’ve been wanting to write for so long: A wallpaper and interior-paint store in central Vermont called Berlin Wall. It’d be located at the Berlin Mall, of course.
Contact Brent Hallenbeck at [email protected] Follow Brent on Twitter at www.twitter.com/BrentHallenbeck.